Thursday, April 28, 2011

Throwback Thursday -Reading Rainbow

Throwback Thursday is a weekly feature that I created so I can share memories of my bookish childhood, and hopefully remind you of your own. Be sure to check out previous Throwback Thursdays using the link in the sidebar.

I'm really excited for this week's feature. Instead of a book, I chose a show that I watched religiously. Don't worry, it's still very much book related! Who remembers watching Reading Rainbow? It was hands down my favorite show when I was a kid. Just hearing the theme song after so many years makes the kid in me very happy. Have a listen!




To some people, LeVar Burton was the guy from Star Trek (and to my husband, he was Kunta Kinte from Roots). To me, he was the storyteller from Reading Rainbow. He or another host would read the books to a room full of kids, while the camera zooms in on the illustrations. What I wouldn't give to be one of the kids on the set. Next to my parents, Reading Rainbow was very instrumental in my becoming a bookworm. 

Tell me, did any of you watch this show? If you have kids, I definitely recommend this if they are still show reruns. 

Love and (a book) light,

~Dorothy

2 comments:

  1. This was one of my favourite shows. I wish it was still on so my step son could watch it.
    I heard a rumour that Levar Burton mentioned starting it up again but as podcasts for adults. I'm not sure if this if this is actually happening but I for one would definitely subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Levar Burton. For me he is the guy in Star Trek. Mind you, we didn't get Reading Rainbow here in the Uk so that might have something to do with it.

    We had Jackanory instead. There were a lot of fantastic books read out on that show but the main one I remember was Matilda by Roald Dahl.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make me smile. <3