Thursday, April 14, 2011

Throwback Thursday -The BFG

It's time for another installment of Throwback Thursday! For my new followers, Throwback Thursday is a weekly post where I feature a book from my childhood. Be sure to check out the past Throwback Thursday editions.

This week I'm featuring The BFG by Roald Dahl. I remember this being one of my first "big kid" books, as it was slightly longer than what I was used to and had less illustrations. For those of you unfortunate enough to have never read The BFG, the book is about a big friendly giant (hence the acronym). Unlike other giants, he is kind and gives you pleasant dreams at night. By the end of the book, I remember wanting a BFG of my very own!

Have you ever read The BFG or any other books by Roald Dahl? What other books do you remember from your childhood?

Love and (a book) light,

~Dorothy

2 comments:

  1. Hope you don't mind, but I am so stealing this for my blog today (while giving you credit of course!) This is my ALL TIME favorite book growing up, so much so that I just went to see a live theater production of it...thanks for the post idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love this book. I work in a school in western Macedonia - on the Albanian border, which is to say my town speaks mostly Albanian - and last week spotted a translation of "The BFG" in the library. I grabbed it and started blabbering to the librarian about how it was my favorite book when I was growing up and how excited I was to see it in Albanian - his response wasn't as enthusiastic as I'd hoped, but I did get to take the book. I'm curious to see how good the translation is, it should be a pretty weird experience reading Dahl in another language.

    In Albanian, by the way, it's "Gjiganti i madh i mire", or "the big good giant." So you see why I'm curious about what the translation will be like... :)

    -- ellen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make me smile. <3