Thursday, August 18, 2011

Throwback Thursday -The First Book I Remember Reading

Welcome to another edition of Throwback Thursday! This is a weekly feature that I created here at The Kindled Scholar so I can share bits of my bookish childhood with you.

This week, I'm talking about the first book I remember reading. I was surrounded by many Dr. Seuss books growing up, but I distinctly remember reading One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. I remember making my parents read it to me over and over again until I could finally read it myself, more from memory than from actually reading. 

For this reason, Dr. Seuss has always been dear to my heart. Imagine how elated I was to learn that the library at the University of California in San Diego where I went to school was named Geisel after Theodore Geisel, Dr. Seuss' given name. It's an amazing and peculiar building, which does its name justice. The building also goes underground, but it's not dark down there. There are these things that look like shards of glass sticking out of the ground which are actually skylights for the lower levels. Cool, huh?

Geisel Library -picture taken from Wikipedia
So there's that -the first book I remember reading. What was yours?

Love and (a book) light,

~Dorothy

2 comments:

  1. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish was my absolute favorite Dr. Seuss book when I was little. I think I even had multiple copies of it. Loveeddd it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How gorgeous! Seuss was one of my first reads too -- although a bit controversial. An aunt bought me the Butter Side Battle book and my parents, both active duty in the Air Force, bristled at the antiwar/antinuke messaging.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make me smile. <3