Thursday, May 26, 2011

Throwback Thursday -Aesop for Children

It's time for another installment of Throwback Thursday! This is a weekly feature I created here on my blog in which I share pieces of my bookish childhood.

This week's feature is Aesop for Children. I was hit by a wave of nostalgia when I found the exact edition I had growing up. I remember my parents teaching me the meaning of the words "fable" and "moral of the story" through this book. I loved reading these fables, and even though I didn't always understand the story, I relished the pictures; they are forever etched in my mind.

One of my favorite fables and the one I remember most is The Crow and the Pitcher. I marveled at how clever the crow was, dropping rocks into the pitcher one by one so the water at the bottom could rise and he could drink. I took the moral here to be ingenuity, though I didn't call it that at the time. Different versions stress persistence or the power of necessity. I much prefer my interpretation, giving credit to a bird that is otherwise despised or feared, nondescript at best.

Did you have this edition of Aesop for children? What was your favorite fable?

Love and (a book) light,

~Dorothy

While you're here, there's still time to enter the giveaway to win a signed copy of Finny by Justin Kramon! See here for more details.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments always make me smile. <3